Friday, February 25, 2011

Making things that people want

I was thrilled this week to see Greentech Media publish a story about NRG's CEO and his focus on consumer experiences and making great products (http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/clean-tech-needs-to-shift-focus-to-the-consumer/).  Energy and environment folks have talked about educating consumers for 30+ years.  People don't want to be educated, lectured, or admonished.  They want to save money, save time, feel good about their decisions and have great consumer experiences.  Who can say that about buying electricity?  Who can say that about any sort of energy experience?  It is time to get on with the business of building desirable products in the energy industry.  Our hypothesis is that process begins by giving people, consumers, the power to make good decisions and to see costs and value clearly.

Just out of curiosity, what is the best product you've purchased lately?  What product do you love?  I am a big fan of household soda makers.  I am almost chagrined to talk about a product experience.  But then as I sit here I realize that we are trying to build a great product.  So we should talk about products that we like and that make us feel good.  I have been a product evangelist for the household soda maker and have gotten 3 or 4 families to make the purchase simply by showing them how we use it and/or by talking about it.  I don't know if there is another product that I have felt this strongly about-- perhaps ever.  Why do I love it?  It is easy to use, reduces the waste stream, and seems to save us money.  A powerful combination.

I hope those of us in the energy and environment business can help to create products as powerful as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment